Monday, February 23, 2009

Religion and Empire

Religion and Empire-
The two articles for this week explore the concept of identity and how it has been formed and manipulated within this country. The nation was built upon “white” ideals and morals, crushing and systematically eradicating any deviance from these beliefs. The native people already residing in the U.S. were forcibly moved, raped, murdered, and converted which left behind a legacy of destruction in the history of this country. Andrea Smith addresses this calamity by then looking at how this history still to this day affects Native Americans and their self-image.
At first the article did not make much sense to me as a spiritual reading. It seemed to be mostly a history lesson about genocide and cultural destruction. Upon further reflection though, I found myself wondering how this history has shaped the peoples of this country and how one would view themselves and feel about their world with this history. ‘As long as we destroy ourselves from the inside, we don’t have to worry about anyone on the outside’(54) This quote best describes how systematically the cultural and eventual self destruction took place for Native Americans. It demonstrates how other than actual warfare and physical brutality, American society has managed to create feelings of low self-esteem and self-worth for peoples outside of the dominant (white) culture.
As part of the means of colonization and integration into American society, U.S. soldiers raped and sexually assaulted women (and sexually humiliated and mutilated the men.) “Apparently, Native women can only be free while under the dominion of white men and both Native and white women have to be protected from Indian men, rather than from white men.”(57) The article explains that while some sexual assault may have existed before colonization, colonization was really the catalyst for the introduction of the concept of male domination over females. “However, this view of the Indian man as the “true” rapist serves to obscure who has the real power in this racist and patriarchal society”(57) It spread the message that women were inferior, weak, meant for sexual pleasures, and reproduction. For women in tribes the history of colonialism and incorporation of “white” ideals spread the message that somehow sexual assault was acceptable because speaking out against it would damage the tribe and community. In some ways this was then a way of saying that the individual and the body and spirit of that individual are of little concern as long as the “whole” or community are ok. This line of thinking takes away from ones self-worth and ingrains in the mind the thoughts that rape is just something that happens and should just be forgotten about. It does not provide any accountability nor does it provide any explanation for the history of why and how rape happens.
Perkinson’s article also looked at identity and how it has been created in this country. His article explored the meaning of “whiteness” and the value attributed to that label in this country. The country was built upon the “white” dream and “white identity.” Historically members of this nation have been taught to view the world through a “white” lens, which leaves those members who do not fit that mold to feel inadequate and subhuman. When I think about spirituality and try to interpret its meaning, I think about how people view themselves, find inner peace, and understand their place in the world. Perkinson’s article outlined the difficulties in being able to do this however when a person is always being told to look through a different lens, one in which a person will never be able to meet the requirements (because they cannot change who they are or the color of their skin.) This article then is really talking about the issue of internalized racism. When people in this country are told to be a certain “white” way and cannot fit this image, there then often times is a belief that those who do not belong are somehow inferior. After being sent this message for years this concept then becomes internalized. A person’s self-image is then that they will never be enough and can never be seen they want to be seen.
Perkinson talked about his own self-image and how people have called him “black,” but while he is honored he can never really claim this title. Though he saw it in a compliment, to be black is more than liking certain music, knowing various dance moves, and living in a specific neighborhood. To be called “black” is to be part of a struggle and a history that Perkinson says he can make no claim to. This issue is important because as Perkinson explains, its like making a claim to something which unless you’ve been a part of that struggle you can’t fully understand. It is like saying being “black” is a fad or something you can wear without understanding the context behind it.

1 comment:

  1. These two articles do make me think of what it means to be "white", I have to be honest I don't really think of myself that way. I can't identify with other whites because white can mean many different things; Irish, Scottish, English, American, South African, Austrailian, etc... All of these people are foreignors to me and I wouldn't put them in the same catagory as me eventhough they are white. It's weird how race has been a big issue for the last four hundred years and yet I can't define what it means to "feel white".
    Thinking back to Ishmael the white ideals remind me of the takers and how Ishmael explains that they believe the world is theirs to save.

    The American Indian genocide article was nothing new for me being a history major but it sounds like it caught your attention to the fact things are passed down from generation to generation. If Native American women are being raped and nothing is done about it then the next generation just begins to accept it as everyday life. Lots of bad habits are passed down like this from generation to generation. I know things have changed a lot since I was a kid, parents talk to their children differently than when I was a kid, everything is a discussion now and when I was growing up my parents just told me how to act there was no discussion. I was watching my nephew one day when he took cookie's out of the cookie jar without asking (he's 8), this was a big no no when I was a child so I told him he couldn't have them because he didn't ask. My nephew cried and ran to his mother saying I was being mean to him, at this point she came to me and asked what "I did". I told her and she made excuses for why he was right and I should have not taken the cookies away. If this same situation happened to me when I was a child I would have ran to my mother and said my uncle was being mean my mother would have said "what did you do?" not ask my uncle what he did. The communication and accountability between parents and children are passed down from previous generations.

    ReplyDelete